"The steeples are white in the wild moonlight,
And the trees have a silver glare;
Past the chimneys high see the vampires fly,
And the harpies of upper air,
That flutter and laugh and stare.
"For the village dead to the moon outspread
Never shone in the sunset’s gleam,
But grew out of the deep that the dead years keep
Where the rivers of madness stream
Down the gulfs to a pit of dream."
- Hallowe'en in a Suburb, by H.P. Lovecraft
About the book:
"Hallowe'en in a Suburb" was first published as 'In a Suburb' in The National Amateur 48, Issue 4, in March 1926.
About the author:
Howard Phillips Lovecraft (August 20, 1890 – March 15, 1937) — known as H. P. Lovecraft — was an American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction, especially the subgenre known as weird fiction ... Although Lovecraft's readership was limited during his lifetime, his reputation has grown over the decades, and he is now regarded as one of the most influential horror writers of the 20th century. According to Joyce Carol Oates, Lovecraft—as with Edgar Allan Poe in the 19th century—has exerted "an incalculable influence on succeeding generations of writers of horror fiction" — From Wikipedia.
Find a copy:
- HP Lovecraft's works are generally in the public domain and can be found available online. "Hallowe'en in a Suburb" is available from the H.P. Lovecraft Archive.
About Teaser Tuesdays:
Teaser Tuesday is a weekly book meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading! Everyone is welcome to play!
How it works:
1. Grab a book from your collection
2. Select 2 sentences that make an interesting teaser (avoid spoilers please!)
3. Post the sentences, along with author and book title in the comments of this post